Monday, November 21, 2011

Hey, Danielle's Back in Italia! (Pt. 0)

Day 0

Disclaimers... and Letting go of a little New York Anger

A few years ago I read a quote in a self-help book (shut up) claiming that depression is just anger without enthusiasm. I don’t know if this is true or not, but I do remember that it reminded me of Los Angeleans, and they way they complain. Of course, everyone in America complains. We complain about being fat, being poor, not being popular enough, the man pushing us down, Obama existing, etc. However a good number of our problems are what is known as White People Problems (WPPs). I don’t even need to explain this to you as I’m sure you are bogged down by your own WPP’s and are thus fully aware of their tendency to wreak fake-havoc on your life. Los Angeleans, in my unqualified and uneducated opinion, have a higher ratio of WPP’s per capita than other place in the country. If you ever want to hear someone in Los Angeles launch into a full WPP rant, I suggest doing only one thing: Ask them to pick you up from LAX. Here you will see your SoCal peer launch into a fake tirade about the trials and tribulations of traffic, and the inconvenience you will inevitably cause should your pickup time be delayed by more than 5 minutes, thus causing the dreaded “circling the airport” scenario. Yes sir, if complaining is anger, Los Angeleans are indeed depressed.

How do I know this? A decade of living there. How did I come to notice? Easy, I moved to New York. See, the people of New York do not possess the cognitive ability to decipher problems in terms of magnitude. Any inconvenience, be it minor (“we’re out of hummus today, sir”) to major (“yeah, we’re gonna need to cut the leg off”) is treated with equal outrage. However, if you screw with New Yorkers and their air travel, they will quite simply just kill you. Indeed, if you ever want to see real anger – the type that could perhaps facilitate a riot or result in multiple crime scenes, I would have suggested little more than standing on the platform of the A train at rush hour tonight at 5pm. For reasons known only to the sadistic and megalomaniacal Metropolitan Transit Authority, the A train to JFK (which should come every 7 to 10 minutes) was delayed by 45 minutes. Further, every tunnel and bridge leading off the island of Manhattan was backed up with Friday traffic, so a cab alternate was simply not an option. I watched as New Yorkers peppered the underground with filthy words that made even my devil ears blush. Fortunately, my flight didn’t take off until 8:35 PM, so I had plenty of time and thus my stress level was still safely in the orange (where it remains about 90% of the time). Needless to say, the A Train eventually did make it, and so long as one doesn’t view the stifling claustrophobia resulting from the ungodly delay a bad thing, no real harm was caused.

Now despite what the media tells you about 3 and 4 day delays at JFK, I will say that I have yet to have any real problems there. In fact, I was so early, that I managed to get myself an upgrade to business class. Huzzah! Before I go on, I should disclaim about 9 things. First off, you can’t upgrade just by being early (although it probably doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t know though because I have a unique propensity for being on the holy shitballs-late side of virtually every flight I’ve ever taken). You can, however, use a sob story and a cancelled 2nd ticket, that you ate nearly every goddamn penny for, to score you sympathy points with the awkward British fella at the ticket counter (turns out non-refundable/non-transferable truly means just that. Stubborn bastards). It’s sort of like your parting gift when a relationship, during the earlier parts of which you over-optimistically bought the tickets in the first place, ends. Like pop-culture references in political speeches, it turns out that long-distance relationships make sense for about 14 minutes after you realize there is no ‘end date’, regardless of the utmost good intentions of the parties involved. We tried, it failed, our PR people released a joint statement and life moves forward. The kids will split their time. The amicability will make Demi and Bruce look like a 2am domestic abuse complaint.
However, despite the warm and fuzziness of it all, I had absolutely no shame in exploiting the living piss out of it in order to score four additional inches of sweet, sweet seating space.
After my successful little demonstration, it was off to the bar. I met two Danish guys who immediately knew I was at least part Scandinavian (it still weirds me out that they can do that). However, I became bored after I realized that all they wanted to talk about was how badly they want to drive up the PCH for 10 days straight. I think they wanted to go back and forth or something. I don’t know.

Before long, it was time to board the flight. I decided against Xanax-ing myself into a comatose oblivion this time so as to prevent the half-day necessary recovery, a decision I immediately regretted once the guy in the chair next to me stumbled over with that tell-tale twinkle in his eye and lazy jowl. He passed out as soon as his white ass hit the chair and 5 hours later, as I write this, he still hasn’t moved. I’m jealous. I’m also thinking about checking his pulse but I don’t want to leave finger prints.

The plane lands in an hour, which is upsetting because there is at least 90 minutes to go in this Harry Potter movie (god I love Snape). At that point I will land in the smelly land of Heathrow before transferring to Rome. Should you ever fly somewhere it Europe that requires a transfer, I cannot recommend Frankfurt enough. I wasn’t fortunate enough to score that route this time.

My Ma is meeting me at the Rome airport where she will no doubt look like the crazy homeless lady from Home Alone 2 (complete with pigeons). This will be due entirely to the fact that she, under no circumstances, can sleep on an airplane. You can drug her, knock her on the head, unplug some wires, etc. She’s staying awake. Alas, regardless her state of delirium, once I see her, the vacation will have officially begun. Get ready…

3 comments:

  1. LOL love the reference to the Home Alone 2 Lady....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...exploiting the living piss out of it in.." I think I might use that line some time.

    ReplyDelete